If you ever feel like your life is on a downward spiral, or it seems to be one bad thing after another then it's time to get you butt in gear and do something about it. One of the biggest traits of successful people is positive thinking. The people that always see the glass half full are the folks that do best in life. While there are numerous things we can't control in this world, there are plenty of things can.
1. Don't waste your time. Surround yourself with positive people and stop wasting your time with people who don't deserve your company and don't care what's happening in your life. I know it's cliche, but once you start to focus on yourself and care for yourself more, positive people will just naturally become a part of your life. So walk away from those who drain your energy and consistently hurt you.
2. Save some money. We all like and need money, but the need should come first. Pick an amount that you're comfortable with and as soon as you get paid, shove the rest in your savings account for a rainy day. If there's too much money in your checking account, then you will always be tempted to spend more than you should. Making your money harder to access is the key to spending less. Once you've built up a little bit of savings and you are seeing it continue to grow, it will motivate you to keep on saving and give you a sense of security.
3. Find your passions in life. Now, I know some of you may say you've already found your passion in nursing, and that's fine. But you are capable of so much more. Do things that make you feel happy and fulfilled. It's okay to take it easy sometimes, but the majority of the time you should be keeping your mind and body busy. It's what keeps us young and alive. If you say you love walking, then WALK. If it's reading you love, then find the time and read. Don't just talk about what you love, DO IT!
4. Be proud of who you are. Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses. You don't really know what problems they have behind closed doors, so worry about your own back yard. We live in a society that constantly tells us we should fit in with the crowd and not be different. Just be yourself. When you try to be someone you're not, you lose your real-self in the process. This will wreak havoc on your life and your relationships. Because eventually the real you will come out. Don't be afraid to be you. Normal is whoever you really are and not what someone else thinks you should be.
5. Try new things. Open up your mind to new things. Get out and enjoy the world. Don't be afraid to try new things. Experiment with new recipes, read books you wouldn't normally read, visit new places. When you open your eyes to new experiences you grow your mind and your soul. Enjoy yourself! There's no law against it. Nurses work hard and deserve to have fun.
6. Treat your body right. If you smoke, give it up. It will only hurt for a little while and there are tons of products out there to help you quit. Alcohol is okay in moderation, so they say. But if you're drinking a bottle of wine every night. You're not doing yourself any favors, give that nonsense up. Do some exercise. It'll make you feel better and you'll have the energy to have more fun and make the best out of your life. Watch what you eat.
7. Find peace. Because I've done yoga for most of my life, I know what peace is. Peace doesn't come from living in the past or the future. Peace is living in the moment. I want you to try something right now, it'll only take a minute. Stop for just a minute and release your mind from worrying about anything you have going on later today, tomorrow, or next year. Don't think about anything in the past and just close your eyes and feel the moment you are in. If a thought enters your mind just let it slip back out. Did you feel that? That's called living in the moment. No stress, no worries...nothing, but shear bliss! Guess what? That's yoga! Yoga is great for the mind, body and soul. Are you hooked now? I thought so!
8. Take your vacations. So many nurses feel we should always put others before ourselves, but many of us have wised up and realized that if you do that, you will eventually become useless to yourself and to others. You must take care of you first, over everyone. So take your vacations, regardless of short staffing. Don't let your managers and other nurses shame you into working instead. You worked for that vacation time. It's yours, so take it. You need it!
9. Do what you say you're gonna do. I have to say that of all the professions in the world, nurses follow through with the stuff they say they're gonna do, more than any other profession. Perhaps this is why nursing is consistently voted the most trusted profession, year after year. There are still some nurses that aren't people of their word. Be a person others can trust.
10. If you can dream it, you can achieve it. Just about every successful person is a dreamer. Every great idea starts with a dream. We are only on this earth for a short while, so don't be afraid to dream big and act on those dreams. Do something fantastic. Leave a legacy!
Do you have a suggestion for others? Comment below!