Nurses hear their share of stupid comments on a regular basis. Some don't really bother me that much, but there are others that drive me up the wall and some patients are lucky they don't get a bed pan full of urine thrown at them. Here are ten of the comments that I never want to hear uttered from any patient EVER again:
1. "You're a cutey, you got a boyfriend?" First of all I'm married. Secondly, even if you were the last man on earth I wouldn't be caught dead with you. You're old enough to be my Great Grandfather and ugly enough to...Okay, enough said!
2. "It must be nice only working 3 days a week and making a ton of money". I don't make a ton of money, I make a living and if I had to work any more than 3 days a week I would probably scratch my eyeballs out.
3. "You're too smart to be a nurse". Well, let me see then...Why don't I go find someone a little more dumb to administer all your medication today.
4. The little old man at 4 am hits his call light and says "I'm sorry to have wakened you but...." Really? I want that job!
5. "Hey you!" or "Hey Waitress". Gotta love em!
6. "So how about scoring me some meds?" Well, if I could score any meds, they wouldn't be for you, they would be for me, to help me put up with your dumb butt. The only scoring i'm gonna do is scoring your meds in half, if you don't be quiet.
7. "Anyone can be a nurse." What?! Excuse me. Anyone can juggle 20 patients, monitor all your vital signs, chart, administer and keep track of medications, handle emergencies calmly and bring you and your family coffee every hour, all with a smile. Yeah, you're right, now let me go and get your discharge papers, don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out!
What are some of the things you never want to hear out of a patients mouth again? Comment below.