1. If you tell me how much you smoke or drink, I will assume you mean double or even triple what you say.
2. We have so much charting to deal with it's ridiculous. We chart everything about you and if we don't chart something it didn't happen. We think about judges and juries when we chart.
3. We do question all doctors orders and avoid many patient complications and even death. We are on the front lines and the only person to check your medication before it goes in your body.
4. Hospitals are one of the dirtiest places on earth. Think about how many sick people are there and you'll realize just how filthy they are.
5. Don't ever tell me, "you're much too smart to be a nurse", or "Why aren't you a doctor?". It's the biggest insult you can say to a nurse. Nurses are proud of who they are and of their profession. We want to be nurses, not doctors. some of us dreamed of becoming nurses even when we we're little kids!
6 Please be honest and tell us all the medications you're taking If you're taking herbal supplement we need to know that too. Herbal supplement can be contraindicated with many drugs, so we need to know about them. It's for your own good.
7. I understand that you want your pillows fluffed and another cup of coffee, but that sound you hear is a code and I need to be there.
8. Please don't talk when we're listening to your lungs. We can't hear your lungs when you're talking and you deafen us.
9. If I hear you laughing and talking loudly on your cell phone and when you hear me coming to your room you are quiet and tell me you pain is 10 out of 10, I won't believe you.
10. Please try to be positive. A lot of times a patient with a positive attitude can make our day. We know you feel bad and you may be hurting, but please don't take it out on us, when we are just trying to help you.
Got more to add to the list? Well feel free to comment below. Happy nursing!