Night shifts are tough. You feel like a zombie most of the time and people that have never worked night shift can't quite relate. Many new nurses are forced to work night-shift until they gain seniority and are permitted to switched to days.
But some crazy people, (myself included) choose to work the "zombie shift" because we freaking like it and are just plain weird! All joking aside, some of the positive things about night-shift nursing are that there is a lot less politics, drama and the atmosphere is much calmer during the over-night hours.
YOU KNOW YOU'RE A NIGHT-SHIFT NURSES WHEN...
1. You blinds and curtains in your bedroom look like the black hole.
2. You eat bacon and eggs at 7 pm and want a hamburger at 7 am. Why are there no hamburgers available in the morning? That's just wrong.
3. You think nothing of going to the grocery store at 3 am to shop, on your days off and you don't think it's weird.
4.You have laid in bed thinking about ways to kill your lawn-mowing neighbor
5. You have no idea what a "circadian rhythm" is.
6. You have a sign on your front door that says, "DON'T WAKE THE DEAD, UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE". Or something of that nature.
7. You go to bars at the crack of dawn and the bartender is convinced you're an alcoholic.
8. You know drama when you see it. It's called day-shift.
9. You have seriously contemplated calling your day-shift friend at 3 am and waking her up, just to say "Hey".
10. You loathe Jehovah's witnesses, the meat man and the mail man
Do you have more to add to this list? Comment below