Photo credit: Ridingtherollercoaster.com
Nurses say a lot of repetitive things during the day and we must give service with a smile to all our patients. Some of the things we say aren't really bad lies, but they are little white lies just to keep the day running smoothly. Here are some of the things nurses say and their true meanings:
1. "You will only feel a slight stick and a burn". True meaning: I will do the best I can not to hurt you, but I can't control the way your veins move and I don't know what your pain tolerance is, so this may hurt like hell.
2. "I'm sure the doctor will be happy to give you more pain medicine". True meaning: There is no way your doctor will give you more narcotics. He's already given you one refill and you don't need another one.
3. "The food here is really great". True meaning: I wouldn't eat it if it were the last food on earth.
4. " Sure, I have lots of time to talk". True meaning: I have charting up to my eyeballs and 12 other patients to deal with, please shut up!
5. "Oh, it's okay that there are 8 visitors in your semi-private room". True meaning: Get out! All of you!
6. " I miss the old style nursing uniforms". True meaning: Like a hole in the head.
7. "Sure, I don't mind being interrupted during med pass". True meaning: If you bother me one more time, while I am passing medication, I won't be responsible for what I do to you.
8. "I will be glad to stay after my shift to help out". True meaning: I have a life and would like you to acknowledge it every once in a while. Three-twelve-hour shifts are enough for anyone to work.
9. "The doctor will be in to see you in a minute". True meaning: I have no freaking clue where your doctor is, or when he will be in to see you, please stop asking me where he is.
10. "I'll be back in ten minutes". True meaning: I will try my best to tend to your needs, but I must prioritize my duties and a code comes before your third cup of coffee.
11. "Sure you can borrow my pen". True meaning: Why don't you have your own pen? If you don't give me mine back I will declare war.
12. "It's okay, I can skip my break today since we are so busy". True meaning: I guess you don't care if I starve to death and pee all over the floor." The next code brown may be mine.
Do you have things you say during the day that aren't really what you'd like to say? Feel free to comment below!