- C-diff! You can smell it when you get off the elevator and will be sure to take it home with you and keep it in your nostrils for DAYS, regardless of how many times you shower.
- Remember all bleeding will stop eventually and most of your patients will survive, no matter what you do to them.
- If a patient admits to smoking 3 cigarettes a day and only drinks one beer, triple that amount.
- If you didn't chart it, it didn't happen and always think about a judge and jury looking over you shoulder when you are charting. Cover your butt!
- The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked
- Sleep is something "other people" do
- All good things must come to an end! Even the shift from HELL
Be prepared to get your teeth knocked out if you mention quiet in an ER or critical care unit...Seriously!
If you don't know how to inhale food at lightening speed, hold your bladder for 12 hours and never sit down, you won't make it as a nurse
Remember two things happen in the body. Blood goes around and around and air goes in and out. If either of these are not happening, it's a true emergency!
Never underestimate the true power of some kind words, a listening ear and a warm blanket.
If you haven't had to clean up a code brown yet, you are not a real nurse.
Don't leave your pen, scissors or stethoscope unattended. They are magic! They grow legs and walk away. And always carry a pen scissors, hemostats and tape with you. If you don't have it, you'll always need it!
If it moves, jiggles, wiggles or can fall, tape the darn thing down. Okay, maybe not the patient.
Treat your CNAs well, they can make your job a living nightmare if you don't and they can be your eyes and ears when you do.
16.Never say "I didn't go to nursing school to empty bedpans and clean up after people" You DID!
17. Never trust anyone else's assessment of a patients. ALWAYS do your own.
18. If it makes sense, we don't do it here.
Do you have one you'd like to add?. Comment below!
Caring is sharing! Share this article with a nurse you love!