While I was sitting in a waiting area at my doctor's office the other day, I couldn't help but overhear two ladies discussing a medical problem. One of them had a diabetic ulcer on her foot and was not satisfied with the treatment her doctor had given her. The other lady suggested she try urine to cure it. WHAT? I really thought I was hearing things till she went on to say that the best "pee" to use was baby pee. She said it cured everything.
Well I really couldn't shut my mouth at that point, so I apologized for eavesdropping and then went on to tell them that I was a nurse and to please not use urine on ANY wound!
After hearing this I felt compelled to ask some of the nurses in our community to tell us some of the craziest medical advice they had ever heard. If you have one you'd like to add, be my guest and comment at the bottom of the page. Here are some of the things our nurses have heard:
1. "Don't drink soda because the carbonation is what makes your blood sugar high. Um, no, that would be all the freaking sugar in it that makes your blood sugar go through the roof!"-Tammy Barnett
2. "I had a patient ask me if they could get pregnant again. (She was already pregnant". -Darla Grace
3. "Washing your hair with rum cures a headache and helps with dandruff"-Christine prinston
4. "Children don't need to be vaccinated because they build up their own immunity." Tara Kinser
5. "Put butter on burns...Yikes" Lindsay Cotrell
6. "Drinking alcohol is good for you. It kills bacteria." Adrienne Prince.
7. "Cow manure is the best treatment for athletes foot." Kimberly Bright
8. "If you have back problems you should bathe in turpentine. It will cure it." Harriet Rise
9. "Douche with Coke to prevent pregnancy." Jan Kelsey
10. "If you put lemon juice in your eyes it will cure glaucoma." -Lynn Frenchly