Patient's Flatulence Causes Fire in the Operating Room

Patient causes fire during surgery by passing gas

A patient, who was undergoing a procedure on her cervix at Toyko Medical Hospital last Friday passed gas on the operating table while her surgeon was utilizing a laser instrument. 

The gas she passed ignited the laser and there was a major explosion as the sterile field was set on fire. 

The patient suffered severe burns on her lower extremities. 

"When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser," the report states, "and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire."

The instruments and equipment were examined immediately by experts who concluded that there was no malfunction with the equipment and the patient's flatulence was the cause. 

Hmmm, Patients should probably lay off the beans prior to surgery...Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Have a comment about this article? Comment below.