RESULTS OF THE SLEEP-WORK DISORDER QUIZ
If you answered all A's or mostly A's, you should speak to a health care professional.
Please also see the Cleveland Clinic information about sleep work disorder.
Here are some guidelines from Cleveland Clinic
"Some general guidelines for decreasing the effects of shift work sleep disorder (SWSD)?
- Maintain a sleep diary. This can help identify the problem and monitor its progression over time.
- Decrease the number of night shifts worked in a row. Shift workers working the night shift sleep less than day workers and become progressively more sleep-deprived over several days. You are more likely to recover from sleep deprivation if you can limit your number of third shifts to five or less, with days off in between. If you work a 12-hour shift, you should limit work to four shifts in a row. After a string of night shifts, you should have more than 48 hours off, if possible.
- Avoid extended work hours. Avoid working prolonged shifts and putting in excessive overtime. Make sure you have time to sleep and participate in family and social activities.
- Avoid long commutes, which can take time away from sleeping.
- Avoid frequently rotating shifts. It is more difficult to deal with rotating shifts than it is to work the same shift for a longer period of time.
- Get enough sleep on your days off. Practice good sleep hygiene by planning and arranging a sleep schedule and by avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. Do not start a night shift with sleep deprivation.
- Plan a nap before or during the night shift. Naps can improve alertness in night shift workers.
- Caffeine and prescription wake-promoting drugs such as modafinil (Provigil®) have some role in promoting wakefulness during work hours. But the best strategy is to get adequate sleep.
- Sleep aids at times can be prescribed if difficulty sleeping persists despite following the above measures.
- Appropriate light exposure during the early part of the shift can improve alertness during the shift."
References: Cleveland Clinic: Some general guidelines for dealing with shift work sleep disorder.
Dr. Dean Lorich, 54, was found dead in his apartment in New York City with a knife stuck in his torso.
A patient at the UMass Memorial Medical Center--University Campus in Worcester,
Are we facing a major nursing crisis? It's no secret that nursing is a stressful occupation.
A nurse serial killer in New Jersey was featured this evening on HLN. The series "Something's Killing Me" aired the story of the critical care nurse turned serial killer.
Patients at DaVita Med Center in Houston, Texas are dealing with life threatening long waits for dialysis, many of these patients haven't been dialyzed in four days.
A nurse in Salt Lake City, Utah, was allegedly assaulted and arrested by police when she refused to allow blood to be drawn on an unconscious patient, citing her hospital policy.
A nurse accused of stealing over $45,000 from a blind patient's bank account received a suspended sentence Monday, contingent on her making full restitution.
A nurse in Pennsylvania admitted last week that he filmed several female patients including a teenager while they undressed.
Nurse Christina Lovern Calloway was sentenced to four years in prison this week after being Federally charged for diversion of narcotics.
Recently, I had a life changing experience that thankfully resulted in the "all clear." diagnosis, but it certainly changed me as a person and made me much more aware of my own mortality
A San Diego man was sentenced to life in prison for stabbing a nurse 11 times in a brutal an unprovoked attack.
Muslim nurses are no longer required to wash their hands prior to assisting in surgical procedures
Jake Grez, 25, has gained an amazing following on Instagram following some posts of his fit body and interesting life.
Carolyn Strom, a registered nurse from Regina, Saskatchewan, Is going through an extensive and expensive legal battle caused by a Facebook post that she wrote 2 years ago when her Grandfather was a patient in a long-term care facility.
22-year-ol Tiffany Ferguson, an ICU nurse who worked at St.Thomas-West was murdered on Feb 28, in Nashville, TN
A nurse was taken hostage on Tuesday at the Kentucky State Reformatory Prison,
The body of a nurse was discovered on Interstate 71 in Delaware County in Avon, Ohio on Thursday evening.
Police in Hillsborough County, Florida are searching for answers in the murder of a nurse in his home.
Has the world gone mad?
A middle school nurse in Texas decorated for Christmas with a Bible verse-filled Charlie Brown Christmas poster on her door. But the Scrooge-like principal and the school board forced her to take it down.
A 7-year-old child is dead after suffering from cardiac arrest following surgery for a congenital heart defect. Reports about the incident suggest that the nurse should have pushed the emergency alarm when she realized what was happening, but instead she walked away and
A Filipino nurse is guilty of manslaughter for administering a blood transfusion to the wrong patient, killing him
A nurse in Aleppo committed suicide this week, so Syrian soldiers couldn't enjoy raping her. She is one of several women who have taken their own lives to avoid being raped and murdered by what they consider "animal" soldiers.
The man who raped a nurse as she was walking home from a party has been sentenced to six years in prison for the horrific crime.
A seasoned nurse has been fired for offering to pray with patients prior to surgery.
Sister Sarah Kuteh has been a nurse for 15 years. She was terminated from her position at Darent Valley hospital in Dartford, Kent for breaching guidelines, even though she was required to ask patients about their religion during their pre-op time.
Pennsylvania - a man in Reading has been arrested for alledgedly assaulting a nurse while at the Reading Hospital.
Every nurse has been there before. You diligently pushed through all the red-tape also known as nursing school. You wonder if you should become a nurse.
Nurse Loretta Bledose is employed by Orlando Health and was a nurse for 40 years before she began an administrative role.
Eureka, Illinois — A former nurse has been sentenced to two years probation and 30 hours of community service for stealing Hydrocodone and Alprazolam intended for patients.